2021 Online Class Format
What is the Difference between the Two 2021 Course Formats?
- BAC hosts two online formats. In both cases, players receive Gold Memberships to Chesskid.com (if they are not already in the BAC club). Note that School sponsored courses may have a unique format and often a longer semester.
> Smart&Light Online Courses: a 60-minute session once per week, for levels 1-4 (Tracks A and B). This format will combine lessons and gameplay in a single session.
> Motivated Courses are 50-minute classes, hosted twice per week for 6 or 7 weeks, and designed for levels 2-5 (Track M). This format usually dedicates 1 session specifically to lessons and 1 for pairings, competitive play and analysis.
What is the Difference between the Three Schedule Tracks for 2021 Classes?
> Track A : 4 quarters @ 5 weeks each; one class per week. Track A is best suited for Families that are not sure if their schedule will remain consistent too deep into Spring 2021. It is also good for Students on the verge of graduating to a new Skill level since the 5 week term allows for upgrades to take place between quarters.
> Track B : 2 semesters @ 9 weeks each; one class per week. Track B is a longer, consistent course for players in the ideal grouping and is the lowest maintenance in terms of juggling links.
> Track M : The Motivated Track: 3 Trimesters @ 6-7 weeks each; two classes per week. Track M is the best avenue for true growth and training, while also maintaining top value per session.
I registered, when can I expect the Zoom link or my Chesskid Membership?
- We send Memberships to your registered email a few days before the course starts and Orientations (with Schedule+Zoom Links) roughly 24 hours before the first session. If you register late, we will send it as soon as we see it come through.
I didn't receive the info, can you send it to me?
- In most cases, the email went to an address that the parent didn't realize they were registered with, or it is sitting in a spam/junk folder (Hotmail.com is particularly notorious for doing this). Please check in these folders before emailing us. If you need to reach us, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pacific Standard Time (PST)?
- Bay Area Chess is based in California so most of our references to start times will be using Pacific Standard Time. See Time Zones
What is your Class Ratio?
- We will be using a Course ratio of 10:1, or better. Larger classes will have multiple coaches and Zoom-Break-out will be used to optimize learning groups, but the total ratio will always honor the 10:1 maximum.
Do you have Trial classes?
- We do not have trials at this time. If you prefer to take a single-session class and register for just one hour before committing to a full Term, we highly suggest joining a 1-hour Drop-In Club, which are available 4x per week, by level.
Can I choose who my coach will be in advance?
- There will be some courses that do not start, and many that surge and will need multiple coaches, so staffing is very tricky to confirm in advance as changes could be made up to the course start-date. Staffing is often posted on course pages after clicking on a day/time link, though in many cases we would be using Zoom Break-Out rooms to optimize the learning groups for large classes and would not know in advance which kids would be with which coaches in those side-rooms (as those decisions are left up to coaches after seeing the settled roster). We will always consider requests and try to meet them.
What is your TAX-ID for FSA purposes?
- Tax ID: 26-2776273. More info on FSA receipts.
What Skill-Level should I choose for my child?
- We have a general scale to help guide you on our Level Suggestion Page. Please note that Level 1 Courses are specifically designed for absolute beginners that need to review piece-movement and cannot checkmate on their own.
When will I know it is time to promote to a higher Level?
- The link above provides estimated rating markers that generally suggest when a child is ready to upgrade. BAC Coaches will also be able to make a recommendation for you (based on experience, achievements, and enthusiasm).
- Our most common question is if a Level 1 student is ready to move up:
The average new player, age 6+, that completes 20+ games and has watched the first ~10 Chesskid Animated lessons should only have to stay in Level 1 for a single term.
What is the difference between Basic and Gold?
- Check here to see the benefits of a Gold Membership.
Do I have to make my own account?
- You do not, we create Gold Memberships for all players that do not have a BAC account and mail them to you. If you already have an account that is not part of the BAC general club, we can import that account if you prefer to use that and not receive a BAC Gold membership. You must let us know before the class is set to start to minimize confusion and down-time live in class.
When will I receive my Chesskid Membership?
- A few days before the Course is set to start. If you registered late, then we will make and send it asap.
I didn't receive a Membership, can you send it to me?
- Memberships might already be in your spam folder or on an alternate (registered) email address. Please check there first, but otherwise we can help you at email@example.com.
How do I register for the Tournaments?
- There's no need to register and there's no need to pay for anything! If you are in the BAC Club (all accounts that we create are in by default!) then you have access to all of our Chesskid Tournaments. You can find them from the Homepage "Upcoming Tournaments" or you may go to "Play vs Kid" to see them there.
I cant seem to join the Tournament, can you please help me?
- Please explore the link above very thoroughly, as it covers every question and topic we've received in better detail. Our 4 most common issues that players experience are:
> You are using a non-BAC account that isn't in the BAC Club, so isn't able to see BAC Tournaments.
> You are using the Chesskid App.. Tournaments are only available in a browser.
> You may have clicked on a Tournament that is beyond the players listed Fast-Chess Rating: (u1000 and 1000+ can only be joined by players under 1000 or over 1000).
> Sometimes you will have to click on the grey X in the top right corner to close a Window and reveal the Tournament lobby beneath it. See the clear visual in the provided link above (and for all other Support issues).
When will physical Courses or Tournaments open back up?
- We are waiting for the conditions to settle before knowing for sure when this will be. Chess falls heavily under the Material-Sharing clause that would complicate opening physical classes for now. You can also monitor www.BayAreaChess.com for an update on when live, rated Tournaments may reopen.
Where can I buy Chessboards or Clocks?
- We highly support in-house gaming with physical boards! Visit our friends at American Chess Equipment to stock up on all types of Chess supplies: https://amchesseq.com/r?id=6a3418